If you’re looking to boost your employment opportunities and job prospects, there’s no better way to do so than by enrolling in a part-time course. Part-time courses have become increasingly popular in Singapore, due to their convenience and affordability. You can sign up any time of the year, so you don’t have to worry about missing out on any semesters due to work or personal commitments. In this article, we’ll explain everything you need to know about part-time courses in Singapore: what they are, how they work, and why they’re such good investments for anyone who wants more job security.
The Singapore government’s view on education
In order to achieve its vision of being a Smart Nation, the Singapore government has been investing heavily in lifelong learning. The Ministry of Education commits itself to providing world-class education and encourages people to upgrade their skills so that they can continue contributing towards national development.
The Ministry of Education (MOE) has set up various schemes aimed at helping students find part-time jobs while studying at school or university, such as the Skills Future, IBF programme, and UTAP for permanent residents and Singaporeans.
What you need to know about Part-Time Courses in Singapore
Part-time courses are a great way to learn new skills. You can take part-time courses at any age and they’re available from anywhere in the world.
If you’re looking for an online course that will help boost your employability, then look no further than our list of recommended part-time courses in Singapore below:
1. Vertical Institute – Data Analytics Bootcamp
- 21 hours of training, which includes 7 three-hour lessons.
- Taught online via Zoom.
- 1 instructor and 2-3 teaching assistants.
- This program has been evaluated and accredited by the IBF.
- Dedicated career support and matching with hiring partners
- Flexible course schedules outside working hours allow you to learn whenever it is convenient for you.
- Leading experts from Google, Apple, Alibaba, and more conduct classes
- Beginner-friendly, with no prior knowledge necessary.
- Use the knowledge and skills you’ve acquired to solve a data-related problem in real life.
- Bootcamps: Data Analytics | UX design | Digital Marketing
- The full course fee is $2,700 before subsidies.
- Course fee reducible from $950 to $1450 (to all Singaporeans and PRs).
- The remainder can be offset using SkillsFuture Credits and NTUC UTAP.
- The course equips students with the most in-demand skills and best practices in data analytics, covering industry tools: Excel, SQL, and Tableau.
2. National University of Singapore – Strategic Management: Strategic Acumen, Competitive Strategy
- 17 hours of training in a span of 2 days.
- This course is for Managers, and Project Supervisor that are responsible for strategic planning in your organization.
- There are no prerequisites to apply for the course.
- The full course fee is S$2,700 before subsidies.
- Course fee reducible from S$616.6 to S$213.6 (to all Singaporeans and PRs).
3. DIMENSIONS International College- Diploma in Business
- The course duration is 8 months.
- The program allows a student to complete the course in a maximum period of 16 months.
- You must have a grade of at least one (1) in any GCE A-Level subject or DIMENSIONS’ Foundation Diploma in Business, and you will be required to take other Certificate courses as part of the Foundation program.
- Applicants who do not have standard entry qualifications will be considered individually and on a case-by-case basis.
- English Requirement of at least a 5.5 IELTS score or DIMENSIONS’ Certificate in Academic English (CAE) Level 4 or passed DIMENSIONS’ English Proficiency Test at an equivalent level or its equivalent. If an applicant has already received a high-level degree from an institution where the primary medium of instruction is English, then their proficiency in English may be considered to have been demonstrated.
- The full course fee is S$9309 before subsidies.
- The course is designed for college graduates seeking the education needed to pursue a career in the business sector.
How to plan your study throughout the week
- Make sure you have enough time to study. It’s important that you make time for your studies, even if it means cutting back on other activities or putting in longer hours at work.
- Keep in mind that study time should not come at the expense of socializing. It’s important to spend time with friends and family so that they don’t think you value education over everything else in life!
- Don’t neglect your responsibilities at home and in the workplace. Remember that even though we are students, some of us have jobs that require us to attend meetings or put in extra hours during office hours (or both). It is wise to allot some time for education during your non-working hours, so it does not interfere with your job commitments.
Reasons to sign up for a Part-time Courses in Singapore
Enhance your employability
Many employers are looking for candidates with skills, knowledge, and experience that they can’t get from a degree. By taking part-time courses in Singapore, you’ll gain valuable skills that you can directly apply to your job.
Gain valuable information about the industry you’re interested in joining
If you’re unsure about what career path to pursue or how much money different jobs will earn, then signing up for an educational course may help give some clarity on these issues. This is especially true if the course focuses specifically on that industry – making informed decisions is often easier when armed with accurate data!
Improve your CV
Get noticed by future employers by making education part of the story you tell about yourself in your CV. This demonstrates your commitment to lifelong learning and willingness to add new skills in order to further your career.
Sign up for a Part-time Course to boost your employability and job prospects
Many students who are currently working full-time have time to study but not enough money to pay for their education. In this case, it is possible to obtain a degree through a part-time program at one of Singapore’s many universities. This option will allow you to continue earning while obtaining an academic qualification that can help boost your career prospects.
The benefits of taking up part-time courses include:
- Learning new skills that employers look for when hiring staff (e.g., leadership, data analytics)
- Making friends with other people who share similar interests.
If you’re looking to boost your job prospects, then it might be time for a part-time course. Singapore offers an impressive range of options for adults who want to study in their spare time. The good news is that these courses are affordable and accessible, meaning anyone can sign up for them!
About Vertical Institute
Vertical Institute prepares individuals for the jobs of tomorrow. We specialise in teaching in-demand skills, building the next generation of changemakers and inventors through our world-class tech courses and certifications.