Flutter Certified Application Developer
Learn how to use Flutter to quickly develop high-quality, interactive mobile applications for iOS and Android devices.
What is Flutter?
TikTok, Telegram, Tinder.
Ever wondered how mobile apps were built?
The fastest growing programming tool that these mobile application
developers are learning and implementing is Flutter. So what exactly is Flutter?
Flutter is a free and open-source mobile UI framework created by Google and released in May 2017. It allows you to create a native mobile application with only one codebase. This means that you can use one programming language to write code only once and ship your apps both to the Apple AppStore and Google Play.
Master Flutter to develop beautiful apps from scratch. Find out why tech giants like Google, Alibaba and Ebay are building apps with Flutter.
Why Learn Mobile Development Skills?
Highly in Demand
Google, Alibaba, Tencent. These are some organizations building beautiful apps with Flutter.
High Demand = High Pay
A junior mobile app developer in Singapore can fetch up to S$120,000 in salary.
Flexible Job Paths
This is an in-demand and versatile skillset to have in the ICT industry.
This bootcamp will provide the required knowledge and skills to design and build a complete mobile application from scratch. Students will learn the main Flutter SDK components and its interactions using the Dart programming language. There are no prerequisites required to attend this course.
This bootcamp consists of 8 modules; the first 2 focus on Dart fundamentals for candidates who do not have programming background or already have Java, Kotlin or any other programming background. The other 6 modules will focus on how to create Flutter applications from beginner to advanced level.
This is a certifiable program. Once the course is completed, students can opt to sit for the Flutter Certified Application Developer exam (exam code: AFD-200) to obtain their certification.
What to expect?
- Learn new concepts and tools through expert-led lectures, discussions, assignments and project work
- Make use of our e-learning portal to access course materials, assignments and submit work
- Apply what you’ve learned to develop a working functional mobile app
- Deploy a working mobile app
- Receive individualised feedback and support from your instructional team
- Be part of the VI community where members can leverage connections with students, alumni, instructors and experts
As a VI student, you will be given access to online learning materials in our e-learning portal.
To get you ready for learning, this essential pre-work will familiarize you with the basics of the key concepts and tools we will be using throughout the course.
Although you will learn these topics remotely before you arrive in class, you won’t be far away from the resources of the VI community. Make use of our Telegram channel to leverage connections with students, alumni, instructors and experts. At the end of your pre-work, you’ll be ready for the fast pace on campus!
After the course, you can choose to participate in follow-up sessions with your instructor, either in a group and/or individually, included as part of the course fee.
Module 1: Introduction and Setup
Understand the general knowledge of mobile app development and in particular, Flutter with Dart programming language.
Understand the software development lifecycle models.
Develop the mobile app based on design mock-ups and specifications using Design Thinking and Agile Methodology (with Figma).
Understand the basic principles of security in software development.
Install, configure and use Intellij IDEA for Dart app development.
Install, configure and use Android Studio for Flutter app development.
Understand, configure and use Dartpad.
Create a new Flutter app project using Intellij IDEA, Android Studio and Dartpad.
- Course Introduction and Briefing
- Introduction to Mobile App Development
- Introduction to Flutter with Dart Programming Language
- Introduction to Software Development Lifecycle Models
- Introduction to Design Thinking and Agile Methodology (with Figma)
- Introduction to Security in Software Development
- Lab 1A: Dartpad Introduction and Walkthrough
- Lab 1B: Intellij IDEA Installation and Walkthrough
- Lab 4A: Android Studio with Flutter Installation and Walkthrough
- Lab 4B: Creating a Simple Flutter App
Module 2: Flutter Fundamentals
Use IntelliJ IDEA or Dartpad to write, build and debug mobile and console app using Dart programming language.
Apply Dart fundamentals in Flutter mobile and console app.
Write documentation inside Flutter app project files.
- Dart Package Definition and Imports
- Dart Program Entry Point
- Dart Data Variables and Types
- Dart Data Conversions
- Dart Operators
- Dart Conditionals and Loops
- Dart Classes and Functions
- Dart Asynchrony Support
- Dart Documentation
- Lab 2: Create a Pizza Order Program
- Lab 3: Create a Small Overtime Payment Program
Module 3: Flutter User Interfaces
Create widgets and layouts in the Flutter app according to design specifications.
Understand and create Flutter themes and styles.
Embed custom images, icons and fonts into the mobile app.
- Flutter Widget Explained
- Flutter Widget Types
- Flutter Widget Catalog
- Flutter Basic Widgets
- Flutter Layouts
- Flutter Themes and Styles
- Flutter Custom Images, Icons and Fonts
- Lab 5: Creating a Restaurant Menu
Module 4: Flutter Navigation and Routing
Create and configure the navigation and routing between different screens.
Embed web browser inside the Flutter app.
- Flutter Navigation and Routing
- Flutter WebView
- Lab 6: Navigation and Routing a Pizza Store App
- Lab 7A: Creating a Flutter App using BottomNavigatorBar Navigation Technique
Module 5: Flutter User Experience
User widget lifecycle of Flutter app.
Create widgets like user interfaces, touches and inputs to allow app users to interact with the Flutter app.
Create interactive layouts with advanced widgets.
Handle touch gestures and keyboard input in a mobile screen layout.
- Flutter Widget Lifecycle
- Flutter Interactive Layouts
- Flutter User Inputs and Gestures
- Lab 7B: Creating a Flutter App using DataTable Sorting Built-in Function
- Lab 8: Creating a Hotel Reservation App
Module 6: Flutter Data
Understand and configure Firebase database to store data in the mobile app remotely.
- Flutter Data with Firebase
- Lab 9: Create a User Profile Interface using Firebase
Module 7: Flutter Networking
Configure the app to call external APIs to retrieve and/or send data.
Configure the app to use Google Maps APIs to get geolocation data and utilise map functions.
- Flutter Networking
- Lab 10: Location-Aware Apps using GPS and Google Maps
Module 8: Flutter Essentials and Wrap Up
Ensure that the mobile app is developed according to the design specifications and software development and security standards.
Write unit testing cases using Flutter mobile testing framework.
Deploy and publish their mobile app to the app stores.
Practice and test their Flutter knowledge through review quizzes
Understand the career paths in mobile app development.
- Flutter Course Wrap Up and Summary
- Flutter Exam Practices and Review
- Career Paths in Mobile App Development
- Lab 11: Flutter Security and Unit Testing and Debugging
- Bonus Lab: Flutter App Deploying and Publishing (with Google Play and Apple App Store)
Jason is the Tech Lead at Blood (previously known as pslove).
Passionate about continuous learning and the start-up scene, Jason is a tech and hackathon enthusiast who has participated in more than 50 hackathons around the world since 2014.
At Blood, he leads a tech team to develop scalable web and mobile apps for serving thousands of active users.
Jason graduated with a Bachelor of Computing in Electronic Commerce from National University of Singapore.
Due to COVID-19 measures, classes will be conducted 100% online, done face-to-face with our Instructor via Zoom. You will have intimate access to our instructional team that’s ready to answer your questions and a strong peer community; all immediately available through messaging and web chat.
May Intake Schedule 1:
This intake schedule consists of 3 lessons, 8 hours each.
Saturdays, 9am – 6pm (luchtime break from 12pm – 1pm)
Lesson 1: 15 May 2021
Lesson 2: 22 May 2021
Lesson 3: 29 May 2021
May Intake Schedule 2:
This intake schedule consists of 3 lessons, 8 hours each.
Sundays, 9am – 6pm (luchtime break from 12pm – 1pm)
Lesson 1: 16 May 2021
Lesson 2: 23 May 2021
Lesson 3: 30 May 2021
Course fees are discounted to provide support for individuals and businesses to transform with technology in the post-COVID-19 economy. There are no government subsidies for this programme.
Usual Price: $2,500 SGD
Discounted Price: $740 SGD. The first 5 participants will get a 50% discount of $370.
Employees of SGTech Members are eligible to use the STAR Fund to offset course fees.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What is Flutter?
Flutter is an open-source user interface software development kit (app SDK ) created by Google. It is for building high-performance, high-fidelity apps for iOS, Android, and web from a single codebase.
The purpose of this course is to enable developers create high-performance and attractive apps that feel natural on iOS & Android devices. Flutter, is used by companies around the world including Alibaba, Capital One, and Groupon for apps that touch hundreds of millions of users.
Q. How long is this course?
This introductory bootcamp consists of 8 modules to be completed. Our course schedule can either be in a bootcamp (full days) or a part-time (three-hour lessons). The course is rigorous in nature with class practices, assignments, and exam at the end of the bootcamp.
Q. Who are the instructors?
VI courses are created and led by industry practitioners from tech giants such as Apple, Amazon and Alibaba. They combine in-depth experience as practitioners with a passion for nurturing the next generation of tech talent.
Q. How are VI's courses conducted?
All our courses are held on weekends or weekday evenings to minimize disruption to regular business hours.
Our students will have access to our e-learning portal where they can access course materials and submit assignments before class.
Q. What will I gain from this course?
Upon successful completion of the course, students will be able to:
- Learn the essentials of the Dart Programming Language and all Dart topics which are related to Flutter applications development.
- Design and build a complete Flutter application.
- Develop visual, behavioral and motion rich Flutter widgets.
- Build and use different techniques to navigate Flutter app interfaces.
- Build Google Maps Flutter apps (iOS & Android).
- Add Firebase authentication and database plug-in to Flutter apps (iOS & Android).
- Add and customize more than 100 Flutter widgets (Class).
- Configure Android and iOS app icons.
- Update and fix Flutter code.
- Having the enough knowledge to have full control on the app elements contents.
- Design any iOS and Android app.
- Testing and evaluating your iOS & Android app.
- Publish Android and iOS apps to Google Play and Apple stores.
- Consider yourself as Android and iOS developer.
- Apply for the Flutter certified application developer exam AFD-200.
Q. How much time do I need to dedicate to a course outside the classroom?
It varies by course and by person, but, as a part-time student, be prepared to work hard and dedicate some time outside of the classroom each week to review course material and complete homework assignments. Our courses are designed to be rigorous and intensive, but, most importantly, incredibly rewarding!
Q. Is there a certificate granted at the end of the course?
Upon successful completion of the course, participants will be awarded a digital certificate of completion by Vertical Institute and Android ATC (certificate awarding body). VI alumni use their course certificate to demonstrate skills to employers and their LinkedIn network.
Q. How do I take the Flutter Certified Application Developer examination?
To be an official Flutter Certified Application Developer, you will have to take the final certificaion exam after the course ends.
The certification exam is optional. The exam consists of 45 multiple-choice questions and is 90 minutes long. The passing grade is 70%. The price to take the exam is an additional $150 SGD.
Instructors & Students from