Learning specialised courses comes with costs, which can affect one’s ability to upskill. However, there are many subsidies available in Singapore for these courses, including NTUC’s Union Training Assistance Programme (UTAP). Here’s how you can claim the NTUC UTAP funding and upskill with it.
But First, What Is NTUC UTAP?
UTAP is a program for NTUC members to defray their cost of training. Members who sign up for courses supported under UTAP can get a 50% discount off unfunded course fee support for up to S$250 each year.
Additionally, there is also Enhanced UTAP, where NTUC members aged 40 years and above will get increased funding support of up to S$500, capped at 50% of their unfunded course fees (applicable from 1 July 2020 to 31 December 2022).
Members cannot choose the amount they want to claim from UTAP. Instead, UTAP funding is fixed at 50% of the unfunded course fees and capped at S$250 or S$500 each year.
The table below shows an example of how the NTUC UTAP funding will apply. Note that it can only be applied after other government subsidies such as IBF Funding and SkillsFuture Credits have been applied.
Am I eligible For UTAP?
UTAP is available for all NTUC members, who meet the following requirements:
- Paid-up NTUC union membership before course commencement, during the entirety of the course duration, and at the point of claim.
- Training providers must support courses under UTAP, and the courses must commence within the supported period.
- Courses that are funded through company sponsorship or other types of funding are not eligible for UTAP.
- Unfunded course fee must be S$20 and above.
- You must have achieved a minimum of 75% attendance for each application and sat for all prescribed course examination(s), if any.
How To Apply For UTAP Funding?
To apply for UTAP (Union Training Assistance Programme) funding for NTUC courses, you can follow these steps:
- Visit the NTUC website.
- Click on “Programmes” located in the top navigation bar.
- Select “Skills Training” from the drop-down menu.
- Click on “UTAP” located on the right-hand side of the page.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on “Apply UTAP Now”.
- Log in to your NTUC membership account or create a new one if you do not have one.
- Select the course you wish to take and complete the online application form.
- Submit the application and wait for the confirmation email from NTUC.
Note that UTAP funding is subject to eligibility criteria and funding availability. You can find more information on the NTUC website or contact NTUC’s UTAP hotline for further assistance.
How To Check UTAP Claim Status?
To check your NTUC membership status, you can follow these steps:
- Visit the NTUC website.
- Click on “Membership” located in the top navigation bar.
- Select “Membership Privileges” from the drop-down menu.
- Click on “Membership Status Check” located on the right-hand side of the page.
- Enter your NRIC or FIN number and click on “Submit”.
- Your membership status will be displayed on the next page.
If you encounter any issues checking your membership status online, you can contact NTUC’s membership hotline at 6213 8008 for assistance.
How To Make A UTAP Claim?
You can claim UTAP upfront when signing up for a course, or you can claim it after the course is completed but within 6 months of the end date. Before applying for UTAP, make sure that your course starts within the supported period. Applications for UTAP on training that starts after the stipulated date will be rejected.
Here’s how you can make a UTAP claim:
- Visit NTUC website.
- Login to your U Portal account
- Click on e-Services, then UTAP Application – click the ‘Read More’ button to proceed
- Declare your NTUC Membership
- Fill in your course information, and check that your particulars and bank account information is correct
- Once confirmed, click ‘Submit’
You can check the status of your UTAP claim application by going to NTUC’s ‘E-SERVICES’ tab and clicking on ‘LinkPoints/Rebates/UTAP Balance’. If the application is approved, you will receive your UTAP funding within 4 to 6 weeks by GIRO or cheque (in the event that your bank account information cannot be verified).
You may be asked to email us a copy of your course certificate, tax invoice, tax receipt, or statement of evidence to support your claim. Please keep a copy of these supporting documents for audit checks when necessary.
Use your NTUC UTAP funding to learn in-demand tech skills
The tech industry is constantly evolving, and the skills that are in demand are always changing. If you want to stay ahead of the curve and keep your skills up-to-date, you need to be willing to learn new things. Here’s the list of tech courses we have at Vertical Institute.
- Data Analytics Bootcamp: A course designed to equip individuals with the most in-demand skills and best practices in data analytics, covering industry tools: Excel, SQL and Tableau. Participants will culminate their learning by developing a capstone project to solve a real-world big data problem in the fintech industry.
- Digital Marketing Bootcamp: The course will explore everything you need to know about digital marketing: social media, Search Engine Optimization (SEO), Search Engine Marketing (SEM), Google Analytics, content marketing, email marketing, and more. Participants will gain hands-on experience by executing their own digital marketing campaign – while receiving expert guidance.
- UI UX Design Bootcamp: The courses will supercharge your career with end-to-end UX skills. Learn new tools and concepts, and demonstrate all stages of the UX process, from user research, information architecture, to prototyping and wireframing with Figma. Students will culminate their learning by developing a UX portfolio project in fintech — receiving expert feedback along the way.
Newly Approved Courses
- Cybersecurity Course: Vertical Institute’s Cybersecurity course in Singapore will explore everything you need to know about cybersecurity: from protecting against online threats and scams, and much more. Participants will gain hands-on experience with cybersecurity activities – while receiving expert guidance.
- Blockchain & Cryptocurrency Course: Vertical Institute’s Blockchain & Cryptocurrency course in Singapore will dive deep into blockchain technology and cryptocurrencies from a historical, theoretical, technical and practical perspective. You will learn about Bitcoin, blockchains, cryptocurrencies, NFTs, decentralised finance and more with this comprehensive programme. The pedagogy is hands-on with in-class practical activities and real-world examples.
- Advanced Data Analytics Course: The Advanced Data Analytics course is our advanced course after the basic Data Analytics course. Participants will learn to apply advanced Excel functions to tackle real-world problems, apply advanced SQL functions, and effectively conduct advanced storytelling through visualisation in Tableau.
Start your journey to a new career in tech
Are you ready to start your journey to a new career in tech? Vertical Institute is here to help you break into the tech industry. We offer a variety of programs that can help you learn the skills you need to succeed in tech. So what are you waiting for? Start your journey to a new career in tech today!
About Vertical Institute
Vertical Institute prepares individuals for the jobs of tomorrow. We specialise in teaching in-demand skills, building the next generation of changemakers and inventors through our world-class tech courses and certifications.