Learning specialised courses comes with costs, which can affect one’s ability to upskill. However, there are many subsidies available in Singapore for these courses, including NTUC’s Union Training Assistance Programme (UTAP). Here’s how you can claim the NTUC UTAP funding and upskill with it.
But First, What Is NTUC UTAP?
UTAP is a program for NTUC members to defray their cost of training. Members who sign up for courses supported under UTAP can get a 50% discount off unfunded course fee support for up to S$250 each year.
Additionally, there is also Enhanced UTAP, where NTUC members aged 40 years and above will get increased funding support of up to S$500, capped at 50% of their unfunded course fees (applicable from 1 July 2020 to 31 December 2022).
Members cannot choose the amount they want to claim from UTAP. Instead, UTAP funding is fixed at 50% of the unfunded course fees and capped at S$250 or S$500 each year.
The table below shows an example of how the NTUC UTAP funding will apply. Note that it can only be applied after other government subsidies such as IBF Funding and SkillsFuture Credits have been applied.
Do You Qualify For UTAP?
UTAP is available for all NTUC members, who meet the following requirements:
- Paid-up NTUC union membership before course commencement, during the entirety of the course duration, and at the point of claim.
- Courses by training provider must be supported under UTAP, and the course training must commence within the supported period.
- Courses taken must not be funded through company sponsorship or other types of funding.
- Unfunded course fee must be S$20 and above.
- You must have achieved a minimum of 75% attendance for each application and sat for all prescribed course examination(s), if any.
How To Make A UTAP Claim
UTAP claims can be made during two periods: upfront (when signing up for a course) or after course completion (only within 6 months after the course ends). Before applying for UTAP, ensure that your course’s training commences within the supported period, as application of UTAP on training that starts after the stipulated date will be rejected.
Here’s how you can make a UTAP claim:
- Visit http://www.ntuc.org.sg
- Login to your U Portal account
- Click on e-Services, then UTAP Application – click the ‘Read More’ button to proceed
- Declare your NTUC Membership
- Fill in your course information, and check that your particulars and bank account information is correct
- Once confirmed, click ‘Submit’
You can check the status of your UTAP claim application by going to NTUC’s ‘E-SERVICES’ tab and clicking on ‘LinkPoints/Rebates/UTAP Balance’. If the application is approved, you will receive your UTAP funding within 4 to 6 weeks by GIRO or cheque (in the event that your bank account information cannot be verified).
To support your claim, you may be requested to submit a copy of your course certificate/tax invoice/tax receipt/statement of evidence via email – please ensure that you keep a copy of these supporting documents for audit checks when necessary.
Tech Courses Supported Under UTAP
As tech skills continue to command salary raises in Singapore, Singaporeans and PRs are on the rush to upskill in tech. We have identified three important tech courses supported under UTAP, namely – Digital Marketing Bootcamp (covering SEO, SEM, TikTok Advertising, Digital Advertising, ROAS, Paid Social Media, and more!) Data Analytics Bootcamp (covering Excel, SQL & Python), Data Science Bootcamp (covering Python and machine learning), and UX Design Bootcamp.
About Vertical Institute
Vertical Institute prepares individuals for the jobs of tomorrow. We specialise in teaching in-demand skills, building the next generation of changemakers and inventors through our world-class tech courses and certifications.